Carter Broome: “We’ve won FIVE national championships”

Sophomore Carter Broome is an accomplished member of the YMCA Super Skippers, allowing him to jump rope around the world and won dozens of medals. Peak Student Media sat down with Carter Broome to learn more about his jump rope experiences.

What is your name, grade, and how long have you been jumping?

I’m Carter Broome, I’m in the tenth grade, and I have been competitively jump roping for five years.

How were you introduced to jump rope?

I was introduced to jump rope by my elementary school coach, Tommy Hager. He ran the club at Salem Elementary called the Salem Skip Its. It was a performance based team that performed at the school on most occasions, and I was interested, joined myself,and it went from there.

What is your favorite part about the sport?

My favorite part about the sport is the different opportunities that I get to have. I get to go to different places around the U.S. and the world, meet new and different people, and do the thing I love to do. I get to show people what I can do.

What are some of your greatest achievements?

Since I’ve been on the YMCA Super Skippers we’ve won five national championships. I have achieved around twelve U.S. records as well as one world record. I have been able to win several awards and medals at each of my competitions, and I get to do that with my team.

What does competitive jump roping look like?

Competitive jump roping consists of first having to qualify at a regional competition to be able to go on to Nationals at a more wide scale of people coming to compete against each other. We compete in about a week long competition consisting of different events like freestyle and speed. Freestyle is similar to gymnastics but with a rope. Speed can get pretty intense with some of the fastest jumpers around the world.

What are some of the places you have traveled to because of jump rope? Do you have a favorite?

Through jump rope I have been able to travel around the country and the world. In the country I have been to places like Michigan, Virginia, California, and Florida. Around the world I have been to Portugal for the World Jump Rope Competition. I got to compete against people from around the world who could be considered the best-of-the-best. I would consider that to be my favorite just because it was so different and I got to see a variety of jumpers.

What makes jump rope unique?

I think jump rope is unique mainly because of the small community that we have. Everyone at competitions knows each other, and we are very friendly. The sport is not very known,and that is something we have been trying to change. We want to remove some of the labels that have been said. Some say that jump rope is only for girls, or it’s not a sport at all. So we have been trying to remove those labels and show that the sport is physically demanding.