Inside The JUUL

It’s just water vapor…right? Millions of the millenials taking part in the vaping/juuling phenomenon haven’t been affected yet; however, recently there have been increasing cases of people falling ill and some even having their lives taken at the hands of these devices. Most people can agree that Juuls aren’t beneficial, yet they still choose to use them anyway because it’s “cool”. The theory of Juuls being comprised of only water vapor and harmless flavoring is what most of the younger users believe. Recently studies have concluded that Juuls and vapes in general are far more perilous than they are made out to be.

According to the 2017 Florida Youth Tobacco Survey, one out of three students said they vaped with JUUL in the past year. One of the main reasons that JUUL has become so appealing to its underage users are the vast variety of flavors- watermelon, mint, strawberry milk, mango, and even creme brulee. But what is actually inside these juices? Vape juice consists of 90% PG or VG. The other 10% includes nicotine or other flavors. PG stands for propylene glycol and the main use is as an antifreeze when leakage may be leading to contact with food. The FDA recognizes PG as “generally safe” as it does not cause harm when entering the bloodstream. VG stands for vegetable glycerin; it is usually made from coconut, soybean, or palm oil. Regular glycerin is a sugar alcohol derived from either plants, animal products, or petroleum. The main use of VG is mainly used in food and cosmetics, and is often added to foods for the purpose of speeding up the process of mixing oil and water ingredients together. All in all the ingredients within the juices are relatively harmless; nevertheless, they’re still not the best for you.

But what about the aerosol that the user is inhaling? There are many chemicals that are still compounded within the vape. One ingredient, nicotine, that is found in the juice and inside the vape can affect the development of the human brain. The brain isn’t fully developed until age twenty-five. Essentially, you’re stunting your brain growth by using e-cigarettes. A young brain is a vulnerable one, so it’s incredibly easy to become hooked on nicotine if you’re a younger user. Another chemical compound called diacetyl is found in e-cigarettes and it is linked to serious lung disease; benzene, an organic compound found in car exhaust, tin, nickel, and lead causes health issues. Other ultrafine particles are inhaled deep into the user’s lungs and cause irreversible damage or potentially lead to lung disease. The toxins within e-cigarettes vary between brands but no specific type of e-cigarette has been deemed the “most harmful”. Steering clear of JUUL and other popular e-cigarettes is the wisest option.

Since JUUL was introduced in 2015 and regular e-cigarettes were invented in 2006, doctors have not been able to conduct enough research to conclude why these devices have become deadly. There are many theories constructed, but none of them have been concluded as the prime cause of the deaths and illnesses caused by vaping. Petitions and laws have been thrown around to try and stop the invasion of e-cigarettes with millenials, but 3.6 million teens still admit to being active vape users. As doctors further the research of the JUUL and other e-cigarettes, society is in a state of urgency with one goal-diminish the e-cigarette.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s