Top Ten Books of 2018
Top Ten Books of 2018
Many amazing books came out this year and it is hard to narrow down so many narratives into only one list. But here is a list that has many different genres, formats, and unique aspects. How many of these have you read and how many are going on your to-be-read list?
- Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass #7) by Sarah J Maas- The final installment in this high fantasy series came out in October. Kingdom of Ash won best young adult fantasy book of 2018 from Goodreads. Throne of Glass follows Adarlan’s most notorious assassin, Celaena Sardothien as she fights for her freedom after being enslaved in the salt mines for a year. This final conclusion brings all the beloved characters together one last time in the fight for their home.
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (The Montague Siblings #2) by Mackenzi Lee- Felicity Montague has survived a grand tour that went sideways, a scramble for a lost and powerful object and her brother’s overly dramatic behavior. But as her life begins to go back to normal, Felicity decided it isn’t enough. No university in the United Kingdom will let her study medicine, let alone become a doctor. Our witty heroine jumps at the chance to work alongside her medical hero, and jumps straight into more trouble.
- The Witch Doesn’t Burn in This One (Women are some kind of magic #2) by Amanda Lovelace- This collection of poetry deals with subject such as loss, growth, and love in ways that can only be described as painstakingly beautiful. The sequel to The Princess Saves Herself in This One encourages readers to take control of their stories and rise above those who try and burn them.
- The Burning Maze (Trials of Apollo #3) by Rick Riordan- This series follows Apollo after his fall from Olympus after the events in the Heroes of Olympus series. With cameos from our favorite Percy Jackson character, this book is a must read from fans of any age. Apollo, with the alias of Lester Papadopoulos, sets out to save the five oracles with the help of demigod Meg who has power over trash. Yes, trash.
- Obsidio (The Illuminae files #3) by Amie Kaufma and Jay Kristoff- Obsidio is the third book in this series so to give you a summary without spoilers here is a summary of the first book: The day Kady Grant broke up with her boyfriend Ezra Mason, her world ended. Literally. Company BeiTech attacks her planet and she flees on the space science ship Hypatia, which flies alongside Alexander and Copernicus. But one of the ships that attacked her home is right behind them, and is looking to wipe out any survivors. One ship is infected with a deadly virus and another’s artificial intelligence called ADIAN is acting strangely. Looking for answers, Kady hacks into the ships files and works alongside other hackers in hopes to save them from impending doom. This book is written as a compilation of emails, government documents, IMs, and code from ADAIN and makes for a gripping read.
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi- After magic disappears from Zélie’s world and her mother is killed in the eradication of magic wielders, she goes on a quest in order to bring back magic for everyone. But she can’t do it alone. Zélie works alongside a rogue princess and against the crown prince. Can she deal with the loss of her mother and save her world?
- Spinning Silver by Naomi Novak- In this retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, the daughter of a moneylender named Miryem has a reputation of turning silver into gold. She tries to save her family’s business after they lend too much money. Miryem also deals with the much darker side of her home, the monster that lurks just outside of town in the dark forest.
- Vengeful (Villains #2) by VE Schwab- Vengeful is the second books, following the events of Vicious. Vicious follows two roomates Eli and Victor. After surviving a near death experience and gaining abilities, both begin down a path far more sinister than they ever dared before. Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison and restarts his quest to go after his enemy- Eli.
- Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices #3)by Cassandra Clare- This last book of the Dark Artifices, the journey starting with Lady Midnight. Set in the Shadowhunter world, Lady Midnight follows Parabatai (two warriors with a special bond), Julian Blackthorn and Emma Carstairs. In this world Parabatai are two bonded souls that are never far apart, and there is nothing they can’t do- except fall in love. It is forbidden and rumored that it will drive them insane. But as the two Parabatai start to feel more than they should, their world turns on its head. They must work together to solve the murders of human and faeries before it is too late.
- Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson- When Stevie Bell begins her first year at Ellingham Academy she has the ambitious goal, to solve the cold case surrounding the family that founded the very school she is about to set foot in. The unsolved case from the previous century has stumped many investigators and students, but this crime loving character knows she can solve this murder. But when Truly Devious, the murder from the cold case, makes a surprising visit to Ellingham Academy again one thing is certain- no one is safe.