Fatal bombing at Ariana Grande concert

On Monday, May 22, approximately 18,000 people gathered at Manchester Arena in England, expecting a great night filled with dancing and fun at an Ariana Grande concert. All was well until the last song finished, and tragedy struck. As people began exiting the building, a man set off a homemade bomb in the foyer of the large venue, killing himself and dozens of other concert-goers. British police are treating the case as “an appalling terrorist attack,” according to Prime Minister Theresa May.

The blast happened at approximately 10:35 p.m., and a witness reported that nuts, bolts, and nails were used as shrapnel. As of the last update, twenty-two people had been reported dead, and 119 had been reported injured. A large majority of those harmed in the incident were children and teenagers. The scene of the incident has been described as something out of a horror movie. A man who had been outside waiting for his wife and daughters was knocked over by the force of the explosion. “When I get up and look round, there’s just bodies everywhere. I reckon twenty to thirty bodies,” the man reported.

One of the most bothersome parts of the incident was the fact that it was such an innocent time for a terrorist attack to happen. Everyone at that concert was there to watch Ariana Grande perform with their friends and family and just enjoy themselves. One woman, who had surprised her fourteen-year-old daughter with tickets to the concert, said, “It was meant to be a dream, not a nightmare.” People from all ages had their lives stolen from them that night, the youngest being only eight years old.

Grande herself was not physically but mentally impacted by the incident. TMZ reported that the star was “in hysterics” and “inconsolable” after hearing that young fans of hers had been injured and killed. A few hours after the explosion, Grande took to Twitter to write, “Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.” The rest of Grande’s tour for her album Dangerous Woman has been suspended indefinitely due to safety and mental health concerns. Grande’s manager simply asks that everyone hold the victims and their families in their thoughts and prayers during this hard time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s